HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

UBC-O going CIS in 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fvball

PostSubject: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Thu May 06, 2010 7:45 pm

So UBC-O gets clearance to move up to CIS as a probationary member in 2011 and UNBC and VIU are denied. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 pm

I am shocked that UNBC did not get in.... anybody have any inside scoop?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marcus

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Thu May 06, 2010 10:33 pm

What it came down to was the cost of travel of coming up to Prince George was a concern for the members. UNBC needed 70% vote to get in and only recieved 50%. The spokes person for Canada West said that it was travel costs and the fact they do not have an acting athletic director right now. The president of UNBC was also in the local media saying that their was not much of an explanation given to him as to why they were rejected and UNBC plans to apply again once the two year waiting period is over. He said that everything the committee had said prior to the decision was extremely positive and said he is shocked the answer was no. He is searching for reasons on what was missing from their proposal or criteria they did not meet and was was not given any answers.
To me it does not make much sense, UNBC has a better facitlity than most of the schools in Canada West and better attendance at home games too. It is a full degree granting university, with research opportunities and funding, masters and phd programs and even a medical school. It also has the financial resources and support to make the athletic programs successful. To me it has all the steps in place to be a valued member, to deny membership based on travel costs seems very short sighted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marcus

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Here is some more information from UNBC,
http://www.unbc.ca/releases/2010/05__06canada_west.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Fri May 07, 2010 12:29 am

I was thinking that perhaps UNBC was denied because they only applied in one sport. If I remember correctly Brandon was forced to add volleyball a few years ago so maybe that is the reason. Personally I think it is a shame as I believe PG would have added an interesting angle to the Can West. It will be interesting to see how quickly UBCO can upgrade in order to compete at that level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marcus

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Fri May 07, 2010 12:42 am

I know that UNBC stated as part of their proposal and long term plan was to add teams in other sports as they went along. Currently they have only soccer and basketball and were planning on adding more within a couple years. Although they were going to keep college in BCCAA for now.

The travel cost reason is nothing new for the north or Prince George when it comes to sports. Teams from down in the lower mainland in all sports do not seem to want to come up here unless they absolutly have too. PG has hosted provincial championships and there was a lot of negativity from the lower mainland teams about having to travel.

When you were coaching Ebe, did it seem like a huge deal cost or otherwise to make the trip to PG, (aside from our home town reffs that is, hahaha)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marcus

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Fri May 07, 2010 1:07 am

In my opinion UBCO probably wont take too long to make the upgrade if they can get to the best Okanagan kids. There seems to be a lot of talent in that area if they can keep them at home. Of course if the TRU situation ever gets solved or turned around it will create some good competition for recruiting. They dont seem to do much for recruiting outside of BC. With their coaches connections in Edmonton maybe he could get some of the top players out of that area and steal them away from UofA. It will be interesting to see how long it will take but I think they will have an easier time than TRU has had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Fri May 07, 2010 1:12 am

Obviously the travel was not very fun but overall it wasn't really that bad. Flights are reasonably cheap and I would imagine that Can West teams would fly and not ride the bus like we did in the BCCAA. As far as Can West is concerned they already have to fly to various places in Western Canada so I think that it really isn't a fair reason. However the problem is most likely matching them up with a travel partner. In the BCCAA when they were matched up with Cariboo (now TRU) it was manageable but when they matched up with UBCO it was a very difficult trip to make. Believe it or not I enjoyed playing at UNBC as they always had a pretty big fan base which made it exciting. The only thing that truly drove me nuts was the ridiculous officiating that we saw at times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fvball

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 am

Yeah I think the matching is a tough issue. With SFU gone and UBC-O in it'll be really nice (UBCO-TRU, UFV-TWU, and UBC-UVIC) so adding UNBC in there would have meant changing those convenient pairs. Too bad though because adding UNBC would have been awesome (imagine teams like Sask or UBC going up there, playing in front of record crowds for PG, and then getting upset by a newcomer to the league). Not having an Athletic Director and Head Coach . . . fairly large oversight . . . why did they only decide to start the search not too long ago? If I was UNBC, I would have been preparing for this for many months in advance. I wonder if Raimbault saw the writing on the wall and got out ahead of time??

Congrats to UBC-O though, Kelowna is a big market and hopefully we'll see fan interest increase in their first few years in the CIS, a UBC-O and TRU rivalry could be quite exciting if TRU figures out how to run a CIS athletic program. I think they have a good coaching staff with Semeniuk and Guarasci, I would assume though that Semeniuk will have to give up his teaching job at KSS when they go CIS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marcus

PostSubject: Re: UBC-O going CIS in 2011   Fri May 07, 2010 1:26 pm

As far as not having an athletic director and waiting a long time to fill the position, there were some legal issues that the university had to deal with when they let go Len who ws the AD at the time. He was let go "without cause" and then as a union member filied a grievance. It took a long time to work out severance and compensation and when lawyers are involved nothing happens quickly.

I think that as far as Raimbault leaving goes it was just a chance for him to get a good job close to home and family. His girlfriend teaches in Brandon and his family is still there. I dont think it has anything to do with UNBC just a better fit for him in Winnipeg.

Canada West is now saying that they might waive the two year waiting period for UNBC to apply again. If they do and UNBC applys again and gets in than what was all this for to make them wait another year? If they do waive it and UNBC applies again and does not get in than that is another problem. If you look at cost of travel as a reason it is flawed as it will cost less to only have to travel for one sport to PG than it will be to travel to Kelowna for several sports.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

UBC-O going CIS in 2011

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1