HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
will

PostSubject: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 pm

http://www.acac.ab.ca/pages/posts/st.-maryrsquos-university-college-calgary-granted-acac-membership-status479.php

They won't start playing until fall of 2012 though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Reported this 2 Months Ago   Tue May 25, 2010 2:59 pm

"OMG. I just read this on the Red Jacket site. I've seen St. Mary's University College play and have also seen Olds College play last year. What would be the point of getting into the ACAC. Unless they are destroying teams in the ACAL, why would they want o come to the ACAC and get spanked game after game. They beat teams like Ambroise College (who), and Bethany College (who) and then can't win against Olds College. And why would the ACAC want to dilute there talent pool to such an extent. It's bad enough with teams like Briarcrest, Lakeland, Augustana and NAIT that perennially get run over in this league. I don't understand why a team that is hard pressed to beat a good High School team would want to play in a league against teams good enough to play in the CIS. I've nothing against the St. Mary's or the ACAL and think that there is a place for that league. However, unless a team in the ACAL proves to be that dominate there is no need to try and move up and the ACAC would be crazy to accept them."

So what do other interested people think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
will

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 pm

SlowPoke wrote:
"OMG. I just read this on the Red Jacket site. I've seen St. Mary's University College play and have also seen Olds College play last year. What would be the point of getting into the ACAC. Unless they are destroying teams in the ACAL, why would they want o come to the ACAC and get spanked game after game. They beat teams like Ambroise College (who), and Bethany College (who) and then can't win against Olds College. And why would the ACAC want to dilute there talent pool to such an extent. It's bad enough with teams like Briarcrest, Lakeland, Augustana and NAIT that perennially get run over in this league. I don't understand why a team that is hard pressed to beat a good High School team would want to play in a league against teams good enough to play in the CIS. I've nothing against the St. Mary's or the ACAL and think that there is a place for that league. However, unless a team in the ACAL proves to be that dominate there is no need to try and move up and the ACAC would be crazy to accept them."

So what do other interested people think?

Well, Keyano College just moved up from ACAL into the ACAC.

The theory with St.Mary's I believe is that they will attract a lot of the Catholic athletes in and around the Calgary area, if they actually do is another story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:20 am

I've heard that argument and it might have some traction. I just don't think there are enough college and university level players available each year to make any more ACAC or CIS teams. They might attract the odd good player. I'm sure Briercrest has felt the same way for some time. How about NAIT. Right in the heart of Edmonton. There are four local ACAC teams and one CIS in Edmonton. One team or more is bound to suffer. Good for Keyano but how many top players from Southern Alberta, Calgary or Edmonton are going to pick that college over the the dozen other options between Lethbridge and Edmonton? They will get local talent from northern Alberta and GPRC will suffer for it.

There should be nothing wrong with multiple tiers of college teams in the province. The ACAL offered players a place to compete and enjoy their sport. I've watched Olds and St. Mary's at different tournaments and it just can't be very much fun to be beat up so bad. I'm not getting down on the teams, players or schools. I just don't see why we need to continue to dilute the competitiveness of the CIS or ACAC. I don't think there are enough new good players right now to replace the older players that leave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
will

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 am

The thing I don't get about St. Mary's moving up is that they don't even have their own facilities as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 pm

I don't know about their facilities. All the ACAL schools should build there programs and when they are good enough or are able to attract top prospects and can compete at the ACAC level then bring them in. I'm not sure but hasn't Keyano been one of the top basketball teams in the ACAL over the past couple of years? Maybe they have earned their way in.

I don't know what town Keyano is in but I do know that no teams other than maybe MHC like going to Briercrest. They are a along drive to nowhere and then the team isn't very good.

More doesn't mean better. This isn't high school where we want every student to have the opportunity to play a sport. Let the cream rise to the top. Have higher profile sport schools and lower ones as well. Players can always transfer up or down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
will

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Keyano is in Fort McMurray, so more long drives, yes. I would think they have been at the top for a few years now, all I know for sure though is that before they took last year off as a 'transition year' they won the ACAL Championship in 09.

Quote :

More doesn't mean better. This isn't high school where we want every student to have the opportunity to play a sport. Let the cream rise to the top. Have higher profile sport schools and lower ones as well. Players can always transfer up or down.

Completely agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Still don"t get it   Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I feel for the girl at St. Mary's. How much fun did they have this past couple of weeks? Who didn't have a go at them? And why would the school and coach put them in tournaments that ensures them to not just lose but be worked over. I heard they moved up so they can recruite better players and that may happen one day but for the next number of years the girls who do play there will have to pay a dear price. They could enjoying being competative in the ACAL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
topdown

PostSubject: Big Job Ahead   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:09 pm

St. Mary's has a lot of work to do get its programs ready to compete with the bigger and better funded programs of the ACAC. The ACAL league has a place, but seems to have out-lived its usefulness for a number of schools thinking of moving up to ACAC. Not only St. Mary's, but Olds, and Ambrose are all considering moving up.

MRU will try and leave the CCAA and go CIS, leaving only SAIT as an ACAC school in Calgary. St. Mary's can fit nicely in a new ACAC South landscape. That said, the school has to invest in athletics and bring in staff and resources to make it a a good place to play. They've got a new athletic director and men's coach who has been around it seems, but the key is making it a place kids want to play and study at.

The women's team have struggled, and while the men haven't set the world on fire, they apparently did manage to beat Grande Prairie at the King's tournament a couple weeks ago. We'll have to see what develops over the next year and a half in preparation for their 2012 entry - I say give them a chance to build something..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachingKing

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Well I wouldnt be overly suprised if they beat kings... keyano just got let into the league and swept kings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary ball

PostSubject: Re: St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status   Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Olds College is moving up to ACAC along with St. Mary's next fall. I heard Olds College recruited a couple of top 20 players from calgary a PG and a Big and i also heard they got a 6'9 and 6'8 guys from edmonton and BC so the Coach is doing a good job recruiting guys. As far as St Marys I havent heard any big names going there yet but they did dominate ACAL last year along with Olds and CUC prolly will again this year so I think both teams will do just fine in ACAC in 2012. And Olds College has very nice facilities so that should help them attract some more somewhat big name players in Alberta St Marys will have trouble attracting players in terms of facilities because i heard they have to use other school's gyms for practice and games so that hurts them big time recruiting players. One more thing Olds College has 2 mens basketball teams. Team 2 will be playing ACAL this year and Team 1 will be playing ACAC tournaments and Exhibition games through out the year. they will get atleast 15-17 ACAC games this year so that will definitely help them get ready for their first ACAC season in 2012.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

St. Mary's University College Granted ACAC Status

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1