HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
j_rank1

PostSubject: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Just looked at some of the ACAC rosters. Why are there so many GTA players in Alberta. Is the high school scene there that bad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
topdown

PostSubject: Follow the $$$   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 pm

The ACAC has some decent investment coming from a lot of schools, and given that most are colleges the admission standards are usually lower than universities. Combine money with relaxed standards and you all of sudden have the opportunity to bring in some athletes who can't get into school somewhere else and put them on scholarship...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:15 am

The ACAC also has relaxed academic standards as players who flunk out are allowed to play after sitting out a year with out having to take any courses. Basically you can play a year, flunk out, sit out one year and play again over and over. It is a policy that they should change!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
topdown

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Great point! I thought all CCAA conferences had to have the same regulations about this....I guess that's not the case
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j_rank1

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 am

Low academic standards please there are none in the ACAC other than MacEwan, MRU and the university colleges. Everyone knows that these GTA players are getting money for books, room and board under the table. The ACAC is where the outlaws go to play now. Its a joke because some of the schools are actually trying to do the right thing by there student athletes. Standing in the way is guys like Philips and Sambu who would rather buy a winner than try and develop and coach one! Its seems all the schools are into to it now. GPRC has 4 Toronto kid, Medicine Hat has them now too.

Its the wild wild west. There is money to burn and waste out west so if been kicked out of school, stolem from your teammates (see NAIT) problems with your coach or teammates in Ontario come to Alberta and we will throw money at you.

Its pathetic and makes a mockery of the education system!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
topdown

PostSubject: Sad but true   Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:38 am

I have to agree with that point. I know the academic standards at the universities and university colleges are the real deal, but not so sure about the others. That being said, the colleges and technical institutes are designed to serve a segment of the population which maybe cannot gain access to the unis/uc's , so how much is really different for the athletes than it is for someone off the street trying to upgrade? maybe not as much as you might think.

the more difficult point is about team building and the other elements of intercollegiate sport. this level of sport is what it is, and it should be celebrated for that. pretending it's the ncaa (or ncaa2 as NAIT's coach said in an article) is counter-productive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j_rank1

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 pm

No problems with the other schools. NAIT and other schools like it are great and provide a great service. The problem is that NAIT and Lakeland Coach exploit there own kind (black athletes) in putting these players in upgrading for 2 or 3 years so that they don't have to develop or coach to win. Lets get serious how much coaching is either of these two idiots doing. They are more policemen than coaches!! The NAIT players from Toronto rarely go to class and are taking light high school upgrading while competing against players that are taking university courses with university expectations for GPA.

I have no issues with upgrading its totally needed but 4th and 5th players in upgrading come on man! You should be in the main stream by second year!!

This Canada and the CCAA not the NCAA. If the NAIT coach wants that then go back there and get a job (not going to happen)!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:46 am

It is interesting to see how many Ontario kids go out to Alberta. The NAIT team has a few from Sheridan College, Lakeland has Humber and Algonquin guys, Mount Royal has a Loyalist guy. Not sure who else has former OCAA players out west.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 am

j_rank1 wrote:
No problems with the other schools. NAIT and other schools like it are great and provide a great service. The problem is that NAIT and Lakeland Coach exploit there own kind (black athletes) in putting these players in upgrading for 2 or 3 years so that they don't have to develop or coach to win. Lets get serious how much coaching is either of these two idiots doing. They are more policemen than coaches!! The NAIT players from Toronto rarely go to class and are taking light high school upgrading while competing against players that are taking university courses with university expectations for GPA.

I have no issues with upgrading its totally needed but 4th and 5th players in upgrading come on man! You should be in the main stream by second year!!

This Canada and the CCAA not the NCAA. If the NAIT coach wants that then go back there and get a job (not going to happen)!

Wow! Some good points made and then some definite issues that you need to resolve, Buddy.

The point has been made in the past that students in their second and third years should not have to upgrade. There were some rumblings about the ACAC making changes regarding classes that a player needs to enroll in. But, a couple of thoughts on that. Students, even 2nd and 3rd years entering NAIT programs may have some specific areas they need to improve in. NAIT courses are not the same as every other school due to the technical nature of the programs. And truly, is their any difference between high school upgrading and getting a 'general arts' degree? We can say its about the students, first, so why do we push them into a relatively general degree. Yes, at least they have a degree, but so do many cab drivers.

As well, if the ACAC wanted to institute these rules, why wouldn't the? I would venture to guess that the ACAC enjoys being competitive nationally and needs to maintain that competitive edge. Granted, they have always been competitive, but this helps them stay ahead of the curve.

Now, don't start the racist ramblings of an idiot about the coaches exploiting black athletes. Coaches from every college have their contacts all over Canada. Don Horwood caught hell about recruiting from BC. There have been players from Europe and the US in ACAC colleges. I heard rumours that some of the players at NAIT, last year from Ontario were originally identified by MacEwans coaches. Were they recruiting in Ontario? Possibly. The players may have been black, too. People are always upset when you don't win with local kids. I am sure that if MacEwan wins the ACAC North everyone will be cheering from the bleachers about local recruits. White, black or purple, they are all there to play some ball and, hopefully, win.

Fact is, Lakeland and NAIT would be hard to recruit for. First, Lakeland is in Lloydminister. Not my first choice to go and play for. Why? Have you been to Lloydminister? Secondly, recruiting for any technical college is difficult due to the nature of the programs. You have very few players for 4 or 5 years because many programs are 2 or 3. You have students needing to get field experience and apprenticeships which takes away from practice time, etc. If they can entice players from anywhere to come and play, good on them to do that.

It sounds like you have some personal issues with the NAIT coach too. Your post talks about both coaches but you definitely singled out Phillips. It must suck when you or your son can't play because he recruited someone else.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Firm

PostSubject: Lets not witch hunt here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Yes, I would definitely say there's some witch hunting going on here. I know coach Sambo by sight and passing, but not much after that but listen, I am from Alberta and met Phillips while we was out here in B.C. specifically Kamloops for the 15 and under Nationals. This guy is a straight up guy and one thing that struck me about him is that I have never met a coach more genuinely caring about his players. In Canada we don't reward our coaches for going above and beyond and I know Phillips gets paid legitimately for full time coaching but I tell ya he earns his pay. This guy does everything by himself attendance and academic follow ups with instructor and study hall 2-3 times a week. He does this, not his assistant coaches. Yes I am a fan. I have sent him two players and both started out in upgrading classes and now they are in engineering programs at NAIT. Also, you guys might want to do some research because NAIT is no push over when it comes to getting a quality education. My brother and nephew went there all of its programs are very demanding. Both graduated with a 2 year diploma and one is making 80,000 meanwhile the other is making 100,000+. I really applaud any player playing any sport that goes to NAIT and graduates because it is tough attending 6 to 7 classes daily everyday, then practicing, playing games and travelling. It seems clear you guys or gals either are upset because your love on was released from Lakeland or NAIT or you are from the GTA and your tired of so many players leaving your area, but maybe you should consider that maybe its a good thing for these guys to get out of that area. Last I checked Toronto is the biggest city in Canada so I am sure the crime or opportunities for these guys to get in trouble or maybe even killed is much higher. Also sorry to be so long winded but I also would strongly question the exploitation of their own kind with Phillips. He has to be one of the best recruiters in the country if you look at what he's done in the 3-4 years he's been at NAIT. If he was that grimy, how is it he continues to secure very good players black, white and other from all over AB and Canada?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j_rank1

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:27 pm

First of all there is a definite difference between a general degree and high school upgrading and to compare or consider them as equal is absurd and shows a definite lack of understanding of a university degree. All first year programs at any university in this country require a year of general courses that are university credit programs not high school courses. There is a difference when some students are taking biology, chemistry, physics, history, accounting and philosophy while others are reading Lord of the flies or taking high school math!

As for Coach Philips wow! you’re really smoking the weed he is selling. I can get 10 players from the top high school basketball market in the country and throw them on the floor and win easily but can he take 10 kids from Alberta and do the same NO! Why? because he would actually have to coach them. Rumour has it that he told a kid he had no time to coach him because in order to keep his job he needed to win now not later!! Great leadership Tex!! Good recruiters do not make good coaches and vice versa.

"I really applaud any player playing any sport that goes to NAIT and graduates because it is tough attending 6 to 7 classes daily everyday, then practicing, playing games and travelling."

More weed smoking here, does this mean that athletes at other schools are not doing the same thing. Also update! the average basketball player takes NAIT takes 3 courses period!! That is all the are required and mandated to take in upgrading, so get your facts straight before posting The athletes at the Universities in the ACAC carry a much heavier work load and they will become the Lawyers, Doctors, Dentist, Engineers, Teachers and professionals of our country. NAIT is a technical school not a university and to compare to a university it is like comparing apples and orange’s! and is pretty insulting. Need I remind that its the "University" of Alberta Augustana campus, The King's "University" College, Mount Royal "University", MacEwan "University", Concordia "University" College. I do not see the term techinical institute in there anywhere!

Alberta kids don't get chance so lets forget about the notion that somehow Philips and his evil twin Sambu actually recruit Alberta kids they don't because its easier to recruit to a non-academic school like NAIT and the other community colleges than a university.

As for the local product issue? The last two ACAC teams to win a national championship (coached by a truly great coach and recruiter Marc Dobell) has the same characteristics, local players and the last time Horwood won a national championship once again he did with local players not rent a players from Toronto who have no interest in getting an education, coached by coaches only interested in the development of winning and not the whole athlete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j_rank1

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 pm

There are Ontario players at NAIT, MRU, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, Keyano and Lakeland
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:26 am

j_rank1 wrote:
There are Ontario players at NAIT, MRU, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, Keyano and Lakeland

So why is Tex the a$$hole? It seems like many schools are doing the same thing.

Also, have you seen the level of basketball that some of these Ontario kids are playing? It is a lot more athletic then what we see in Alberta. I am not disputing that there is great talent in Alberta, but when you want some explosive athletes, wow, some of these Ontario kids are exceptional.

From what I know of Tex, he loves athletes. Guys that are quick, explosive and can trap, fast break and flat out play defense. If he needs to go to Ontario, so be it.

Does he need to win "now". Probably. You don't think that when NAIT hired a Full-time coach over the existing coach that eyes were not on him and NAIT. I am sure that they all wanted to show this was a good move. It was unprecedented in the ACAC and they need to make things happen. In year 2 he's in Nationals? Sounds like he's getting the job done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:12 am

Ominous wrote:
j_rank1 wrote:

So why is Tex the a$$hole? It seems like many schools are doing the same thing.

Also, have you seen the level of basketball that some of these Ontario kids are playing? It is a lot more athletic then what we see in Alberta. I am not disputing that there is great talent in Alberta, but when you want some explosive athletes, wow, some of these Ontario kids are exceptional.

From what I know of Tex, he loves athletes. Guys that are quick, explosive and can trap, fast break and flat out play defense. If he needs to go to Ontario, so be it.

Does he need to win "now". Probably. You don't think that when NAIT hired a Full-time coach over the existing coach that eyes were not on him and NAIT. I am sure that they all wanted to show this was a good move. It was unprecedented in the ACAC and they need to make things happen. In year 2 he's in Nationals? Sounds like he's getting the job done.

That is a lot of schools with Ontario players. But that is the way you need to recruit. I don't think Roy Williams stays in Carolina to got his own players.

But when you go poaching kids that have been to other schools that is not a good thing. The best coach in the ACAC over the last decade is Dobell. He has won at NAIT and MRU. And I don't think he had any Ontario players those years. Yes he does have one this year but it was as a walk on and not retrieved from another CCAA school.
Whats going on at SAIT. Host Nats and everyone went there last year and this year no Nats and.... Results have not been the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Firm

PostSubject: Re: The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players   Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm

j_rank1 wrote:
First of all there is a definite difference between a general degree and high school upgrading and to compare or consider them as equal is absurd and shows a definite lack of understanding of a university degree. All first year programs at any university in this country require a year of general courses that are university credit programs not high school courses. There is a difference when some students are taking biology, chemistry, physics, history, accounting and philosophy while others are reading Lord of the flies or taking high school math! Obviously you do not understand what a Technical College is all about. Put it like this, there's no Bachelor of Arts there. Also to be admitted into and College or University diploma or degree program requires 70+% in courses like the ones you listed for the students to be accepted.

As for Coach Philips wow! you’re really smoking the weed he is selling. I can get 10 players from the top high school basketball market in the country and throw them on the floor and win easily but can he take 10 kids from Alberta and do the same NO! Why? because he would actually have to coach them. Rumour has it that he told a kid he had no time to coach him because in order to keep his job he needed to win now not later!! Great leadership Tex!! Good recruiters do not make good coaches and vice versa. Wow, you are showing BIGTIME hater tendancies. You are quoting or making up romours to justify you hatred. Speaking of high school players, didnt Don take over a high school program that has never won anything and in two years accumulate like 60+ wins and like 5 losses along with winning the first Provincial championship in that schools history?

"I really applaud any player playing any sport that goes to NAIT and graduates because it is tough attending 6 to 7 classes daily everyday, then practicing, playing games and travelling."

More weed smoking here, does this mean that athletes at other schools are not doing the same thing. Also update! the average basketball player takes NAIT takes 3 courses period!! That is all the are required and mandated to take in upgrading, so get your facts straight before posting The athletes at the Universities in the ACAC carry a much heavier work load and they will become the Lawyers, Doctors, Dentist, Engineers, Teachers and professionals of our country. NAIT is a technical school not a university and to compare to a university it is like comparing apples and orange’s! and is pretty insulting. Need I remind that its the "University" of Alberta Augustana campus, The King's "University" College, Mount Royal "University", MacEwan "University", Concordia "University" College. I do not see the term techinical institute in there anywhere! Seems like you slept through your high school english class yourself as your reading comprehension isnt up to par. The statement you quoted said any player that GRADUATES and for you to GRADUATE from NAIT you have to go into legit program. Which means at NAIT you would be taking 6-7 classes daily. The rest of your comments are staggering.

Alberta kids don't get chance so lets forget about the notion that somehow Philips and his evil twin Sambu actually recruit Alberta kids they don't because its easier to recruit to a non-academic school like NAIT and the other community colleges than a university. All i can say is wow

As for the local product issue? The last two ACAC teams to win a national championship (coached by a truly great coach and recruiter Marc Dobell) has the same characteristics, local players and the last time Horwood won a national championship once again he did with local players not rent a players from Toronto who have no interest in getting an education, coached by coaches only interested in the development of winning and not the whole athlete. now we are getting to the main idea of your rant. It seems that you were coach by Coach Dobell or your his lover, either way you should really get his $%@& out of your mouth. Dobell is a good coach and even good coaches have their highs and lows and he seems tobe on a low because MacEwan blew the Cougars out last year in their own gym by 20 plus. Also last I can remember Dobell over the past couple years having players on his team from B.C, Ontario and the States so kill that noise and I repeat get his &$#@ out of your mouth. Also every team that Don Horwood ever coached including the National championship ones had B.C. players on it and he has always been crticized for that. Hell wasn't one of the greatest Bears in history name Greg Devries from B.C?

[i]
[b]Please see bold and italicized comments above.

Summary: It seems that you have some deep and embedded issues that you should seek professional help for and it is painfully obvious that using a public forum to express you displaced anger for someone maybe touching you in the wrong place when your young, maybe for being bullied all you life, maybe for being neglected by your peers or parents, being cut from your high school team, maybe being blown out as a caoch or player after playing against either Coach Sambu or Phillips, maybe because you came home early and some stud was giving it to your wife or maybe or havent accepted your inner homosexual thoughts after years of hanging out in the bathrooms and lockerooms of many places checking out other men packages. Regardless, this is not the place for you to receive appropriate therapy.

With that being said, can we either kill this thread or can some of the more intelligent and stable nature please step up and engage us in a legit conversation???! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The ACAC and Metro Toronto Players

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next