HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

National Capital Classic...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: National Capital Classic...    Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Does anybody have the draw for this tournament yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Here are the first round games for this years National Capital Classic. Because we cannot attach files, I am only posting the first round games. I have posted where the losers and winners of each game go, but basically, the winner of the first game plays the loser of the second and vice versa. the same is true for games 3 and 4, 5 and 6, and 7 and 8. Game times at each site in order as listed are: 4:00, 5:30, 7:00, and 8:30.

Feb 3rd @ Ridgemont

Loser .............. St. Matts vs St. Paul ................. Winner

Winner ................... Ridgemont vs St. Peter ................. Loser

Loser .................... SRB vs Holy Cross .................. Winner

Winner ................. Western Tech vs Mother Theresa ................... Loser

Feb 3rd @ Hillcrest

Loser .................... Hillcrest vs St. Joes (Cornwall) ......... Winner

Winner .................. Carine Wilson vs I.E. Weldon (8:30 pm) .......... Loser

Loser ................ Philip Pocock vs Sir W. Laurier ......... Winner

Winner ................... Sacred Heart vs Deslauriers (5:30 pm) ............. Loser

Last edited by coachc on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:49 am

Is the tournament down to 16 teams this year or will it still have the two other sites of 8 teams each?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
coachc

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 am

My understanding was that the convenor had a bunch of teams that said that they wanted in but he was having trouble getting some firm commitments. He also wanted to keep to a multiple of 8 teams so some teams who wanted in and were willing to commit could not get in because he lowered his number of teams to 16. It is interesting to see that some teams that have been quite regular are out this year (Perth and Glebe come to mind). I am assuming that those two were unfortunately victims of a numbers game as perhaps they were team number 17 and 18? I know that in years past, the convenor has gone with 32 teams, and then had teams who said they were coming bail on him at the last second and then he ends up scrambling by calling a bunch of local coaches to enter their teams for free or putting in junior teams or what have you. I think he had enough of that understandably.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:16 am

Here is my initial breakdown of this tournament. This should be a competitive tournament from start to finish. Some very intriguing first rouncd matchups specifically Hillcrest vs St. Joes. St. Joes beat Smith Falls at a tournament in Brockville I believe the week after Smith Falls won the Jaguar classic in Ottawa beating Hillcrest by 20 along the way. St. Joes did not show nearly as strong as the team that could beat an ofsaa medal contender like Smith Falls at the Jaguar Classic but they are always very good and I believe most would agree that they are probably more like the team that beat Smith Falls than the team that lost 2 of 3 at the Jaguar Classic.

Another very interesting first round game will be Sacred Heart vs Deslauriers. Sacred Heart is likely the top seed of the tournament and they get paired up with a team who is 9-0 in league play and has a tournament victory under their belt. Not much has been spoken of Deslauriers since before Christmas but surely they would be a contender to win this tournament. The interesting thing to note is that these four teams mentioned above, will all be playing each other in the second round (matchups to be determined by results of these games) meaning that two of them will be out of contention for the tournament in the second round!

Also an interesting matchup will be St. Peters vs Carine Wilson. St. Peters is very hot and cold it would seem having beaten SRB and St. Paul, they have struggled a bit in league play and Carine Wilson has had some in tournament play and handled Louis Riel in their matchup last week by 23 pts a team that beat St. Peter in the Jaguar Classic. The two Toronto teams (Western Tech and Philip Pocock) are likely favoured to win their first round games, but I am uncertain how strong they are to be considered contenders. I believe Pocock is a tier two team from T.O. and Western Tech is 1-3 in their league last I saw, but their division is ridiculously good. St.Matts should win against Ridgemont and I would assume St. Paul is favoured to beat Weldon, but Weldon can usually compete with top teams. The one game I have really have no clue of is our own in SRB vs Holy Cross. We played them in their tournament final last year and they are very well coached and played very tough. I also just saw that they are undefeated in league play this year so they are likely one of the top teams from Kingston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 pm

coachc wrote:
I believe Pocock is a tier two team from T.O. and Western Tech is 1-3 in their league last I saw, but their division is ridiculously good.

Pocock is a tier one team from Mississauga (ROPSSAA). They are 4th (4-2) in the central division. (The north is division that is crazy deep.)

Western Tech plays in the south division of the Toronto Public league. Their record is 3-4. Their division includes GTA #4 Oakwood, #13 Eastern Commerce and #15 Jarvis. They are 0-2 against the 3 ranked teams and 3-2 against the other teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm

I had to edit the draw I posted as we got some slight changes today. St. Peter moved up to the top half of the bracket in the Ridgemont Bracket and I.E. Weldon moved down to the bottom bracket. Also, the Deslauriers vs Sacred Heart game was moved in the bracket (but the time stays the same) likely to avoid eliminating two of the top teams in the second round as explained in my previous post. Please note all game times are as indicated in the original post except the Sacred Heart game and the I.E. Weldon games as Weldon is travelling from out of town. Game times for those two games are specifically marked on the draw in my edited version of my original post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Anyone have results of today? I know Hillcrest won big over St. Joes from Cornwall and Sacred won big over Deslaurier, but other than that no idea. Anyone can help?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 am

Apparently St. Matts beat St. Paul by quite a bit, St. Peter won handly over Ridgemont and SRB won by two over Holy Cross form Kingston. I am not sure about the Western Tech/Mother Theresa game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:33 pm

How did today's games go? Who made the semifinals tomorrow morning?
Back to top Go down
coachc

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:22 pm

any updates? Who were the four teams in the semis (I know St. Matts was one) and who won those matchups? Also who won the finals and the third place game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bbscout

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Hillcrest beat Sacred Heart by 2 for the championship
and I believeSt. Matts beat St. Peters for the bronze
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: National Capital Classic...    Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Gold Medal:
Hillcrest 48 (Issack Egueh 17, Emad Abdelmagid 12, Thomas Ritchie 9, Wajdi Abumengel 7)
Sacred Heart 46 (Sean Stoqua 14, Vikas Gill 14, Jon Paluch 6)

MVP: Issack Egueh

Hillcrest pulled the upset without their 6'7" centre John Lenz in attendance. It was close the entire first half, ending 23-23, with some uncharacteristically large number of players getting fouled shooting 3s. Hillcrest was steady at the free-throw line and Sacred Heart had problems. Sean Stoqua only made 1 of 6 in the game. Sean led an 8-0 run to start the second half with a couple of 3s, but Hillcrest countered it with a 10-3 run the rest of the quarter (Issack had 7 of them). Sacred remained either slightly in the lead or even until Wajdi hit a 3 with under 2 minutes to go, making it 43-42. Sacred had many good looks at three-point shots in the quarter, but every single one missed. Issack hit a couple of free-throws and that was it.

Bronze Medal:
St. Matt's 65 (Cedric Dumais 28, Matt Price 16, Herbie Cadet 7)
St. Peter 51 (Mike Zablocki 19, Daniel Nwosu 11, Lucca Arsenault-Verrelli 11)

Long bombs were being launched early and often. 11 three-pointers were good in the first half alone (Dumais 3, Price 3, Mack Wakefield 1... Zablocki 3, Nwosu 2, Brandon Farquarson 1). Cedric Dumais was all over the court, finishing with 16 at halftime, where St. Matt's led 43-28. The second half was much more settled down and St. Matt's kept a comfortable lead throughout.
Back to top Go down

National Capital Classic...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums ::  ::  :: -